Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Get Your Bad On

Sigh. Christmas won’t officially be over for us until we visit Derek’s fam in Utah this week. But I already feel so full and happy from Christmas joy. It has been a really wonderful, peaceful, sweet holiday season for me this year, even with a minor sickly curve ball thrown at me before Christmas Day. Bam! I knocked it out in a day and a half and was done. But now I’m just tired and want to lie down. For about three days.

Which brings me to my latest blog confession, dear readers. You know when it’s before bedtime and you’re tired, but not tired enough to sleep, but too tired to read or do anything semi-productive or even focus on a movie you haven’t yet seen? You know what I like to do? Besides that, you pervs.



I will hunt around the tube until I find the movie Showgirls. I know! I know. It’s almost always on some channel or another, and it is quite possibly the worst movie ever made, but dammit, that’s what makes it so good. Especially watching the edited for TV version of it, where you can make fun of the dubbing where there should have been overly-passionate, righteously indignant cusswords, and make extra special fun of the skin-colored bra thingies that they digitally add over any exposed boobies. It rules! I swear, I never get tired of watching that stupid-ass movie! What is my problem? Is there a 12-step program for this? I love listening to Elizabeth Berkley grunt and gasp during her dance solos, and violently whip her head around when she is pissed off (which is practically every scene). I love making fun of Kyle McLachlan’s super-sissy hairdo. I love the cliched, over-the-top, cocaine-induced Star Is Born type story line that even a 3-year-old could navigate and find cheesy. God! It’s just so good!

There are other movies that are also terrible, but when they come on, it is a moral imperative: I simply have to watch them. In a lot of ways, I think they make me a better writer because the writing is bad, but obviously there is something compelling about it that makes you watch, right? There is something to be learned from this, though I’m not sure what that is. Does anybody else do this? Here is my list:

The Cutting Edge (Rich girl skater meets bad boy hockey player and they must learn to skate together. Sparks fly and bitchy jabs ensue.)
Center Stage (Bitchy bitches at the New York Ballet Academy. Backstabbing dancers, eating disorders, male ballet lotharios. Oh, it’s all SO serious.)
Flashdance (Duh. Every little girl on the planet wanted to be Jen Beals with that white-hot off-the-shoulder sweatshirt. Finding out that she didn’t actually do any of the dancing was like finding out there was no Santa Klaus.)
Striptease (Demi Moore takes it off, but only for a noble cause people! And she rips those clothes off with righteous, fierce anger because she has to keep custody of her daughter away from her mean, mean, drinking, asshole ex-husband! Featuring Burt Reynolds, in perhaps the most embarrassing role of his entire career.)

So what are your guilty movies? Come on. Confess. Confess. You know you want to tell me.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

Mine is not a movie, but a TV show. I confess, I'm addicted to the reruns of 90210 that my TiVo just insists on recording for me off SoapNet :-)

And when I'm not feeling well, my girls from Sex and the City can usually make me feel better.

By the way, I LOVE The Cutting Edge. "Toe pick!" And I always get a giggle from those digitally added bras in Showgirls too. hehe

Valley Girl said...

Toe Pick!!! AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

90210 is my "called in sick and lying half-dead on the couch" guilty pleasure". It goes very well with Top Ramen and saltines.

Miata said...

I watched "Center Stage" last night for the umpteenth time. I was by myself and I was thankful that no one was around. Now, I feel like I've been caught. It is horrible but I cannot pry my eyes away.
I also watched EVERY episode of "Laguna Beach." I am sooo not caucasian, eighteen, or a resident of the OC but again...Can't control myself.

Chi said...

I figured it out...du-h. My most "get my bad on" is Xanadu. As a kid, I thought it was the best (remember, I had dirty-coke bottle glasses), though I will say, the soundtrack STILL rocks (its ELO..okay??)