Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Christmas Craftage

So, our first Christmas in San Luis Obispo.  I was SO looking forward to it -- all of it.  I was going to experience the crap out of this Christmas in our new beloved small town.  I was going to slow down, decorate the house, have friends over to decorate the tree, have family over, throw my customary ornament-making party, the list went on and on.  And then, BAM!  McLean and I both came down with the NIGHTMARE FLU FROM HELL six days before Christmas Day.  The works -- aching, chills, fever (and accompanying freaky dreams), coughing hard enough to barf up a lung, and just generally feeling like you want to die.  I didn't manage to do a lot of the things I wanted to do, and I wasn't as perky for the actual festivities as I would have liked, but I was hell-bent on getting this one craft completed.  So around Day 3 of being sick, I pumped my ass full of Zip Fizz (have you tried this miracle potion???) and went downtown to finish up shopping and hit Beverly's Craft Store.

Let me back up and explain something important first.  When Derek's Grammy passed at the ripe old age of 107, she left behind a lot of costume jewelry.  I was able to acquire a huge shopping bag full of brooches, clip-on earrings, cameos, endless miscellany, and tons of pearls.  More stuff than I could ever wear, and besides, I don't wear clip-ons, hello.  I wanted to do something special with the stuff, but had no clue.  So it sat in storage for a year.  And then as Christmas drew closer, it dawned on me:  Make a wreath.  I have made a couple of wreaths before and they are really fun.  And this would be really different.  So I searched for something like it on Pinterest and, lo and behold, it is already a thing!

So when my beloved mother-in-law arrived, I explained to her what I had in mind and showed her pictures and hoped she wouldn't think I was cray-cray.  And she was into it!  So we sat at the dining room table, Christmas music playing, me with a nice hot toddy (or two).  And we prepped, painted, glued and stuck about 100 pieces each onto two separate wreaths.  I divided them thusly:  Bright colors and flashy rhinestone pieces on my miso green background; gold and pearls and cameos on Sue's baby pink background.  I love how they turned out, and it was kind of my Christmas nirvana.

Here is the one I made:

And here is the one Sue made:

I love them both so much, I decided to keep them up.  Sue's is in the dressing room above my vanity.  And mine is in the study, above the pictures of Sue and Grammy, which I thought rather fitting:

So in spite of a badly-timed bout with the flu, Christmas turned out great, and I have a wonderful memory and memoriam of two of my favorite women.  And a constant reminder that there is always room for a little glamour, even when you feel like caca!

Love and blessings to you in this Happy New Year!

No comments: